An intellectual property portfolio may be a significant part of your company’s assets. To maintain and grow the value of those assets requires a comprehensive strategy. You may also need advice on issues like whether a technology is patentable, or whether you infringe a competitor’s patent, so that you can make informed business decisions. Oyen Wiggs’ lawyers can help ensure that your company is well positioned to innovate, compete, gain investment, sell or license your intellectual property.
Our lawyers have experience working with a wide range of clients to develop and manage their IP portfolios. The technical backgrounds of our lawyers ensure that we can work closely with your team to provide meaningful insight on the development of your patent portfolio. On the trademark side, we work with many clients who have global brands that need to be carefully managed across many jurisdictions.
Our lawyers regularly conduct IP audits and due diligence investigations on IP, and devise and execute strategies for protecting patents, trademarks and designs. Our lawyers also provide legal opinions on issues such as patentability, infringement, freedom-to-operate, trademark availability, and registrability of trademarks and designs. Our lawyers have advised clients on patent infringement issues, including designing around competitors’ patents.
Jennifer MarlesPartnerM.Sc. (Biochemistry)
Todd RattrayPartnerB.A.Sc. (Engineering Physics (Electronics))
Craig AshPartnerB.Sc. (Chemistry)
Thomas BaileyPartnerB.Sc. (Cellular Biology)
Alex BuonassisiAssociateB.A.Sc. (Electrical Engineering)
Amy FongSenior AssociateB.A.Sc. (Engineering Physics (Computers))
Bruce GreenPartnerA.B. (Physics) Princeton University
Roni JonesAssociateB.A.Sc. (Materials Engineering)
George Kondor Q.C.PartnerB.Sc. (Physiology)
Christina KwokAssociateB.Sc. (Biotechnology)
Gavin ManningPartnerM.Sc. (Physics)
David McGruderPartnerB.Sc. (Chemistry)
Stephanie MelnychukAssociateM.Sc. (Chemistry)
Hilton SuePartnerElectrical Engineering
David TakagawaSenior AssociateB.Sc. (Microbiology)
Jayde WoodAssociateM.Sc. (Food Microbiology)
- How and When to Challenge a Patent or Patent Application in Canada
- Strategic Considerations and Patent Application Examination Options in Canada
- GPPH: More Than a Two Lane (Patent Prosecution) Highway
- It Just Keeps Getting Harder: Pfizer Faces Further Challenges after its Viagra™ Patent Invalidation
- International Trademark Registrations Under the Madrid Protocol
- Choosing a new trademark: It’s all about being distinctive, distinctive, distinctive!
- Apple v. Samsung and the importance of design registration
- IP issues for mobile app developers
- Prometheus v. Mayo: A Setback for Diagnostic Method Patents in the US?
- Protecting your trademarks south of the border: Differences between Canadian and American trademark law
- From “first-to-invent” to “first-to-file”: How the first-to-file and novelty requirements under the new America Invents Act compare to Canadian patent law
- Invention disclosure and patent grace periods: How disclosing your invention before filing a patent application can severely limit your ability to obtain a patent